CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Expectations & Faith

I was reading this morning in Matt. 8:5-13 and a few things hit me... Yes, the faith of the Roman soldier, but also Christ's amazement at his faith... there is more I want to say here but first let me start off with a personal story...

Don't you love how God teaches us in our everyday circumstances. Well, the scripture passage this morning reminded me of one such a time. I remember being at the airport a while back... I was flying by myself and I remember it hadn't been the best of days, so as I stood there I took a moment to look around and people watch. As I looked around I wondered who I would be sitting next to on the plane ... As I was thinking about this there she stood... this young woman, who looked like she lived in a very different world than me. She was dressed in all black (Gothic look), black nails, shoes, clothes (well you get the picture). She had piercings & tattoos all over her body... and I thought oh please don't let me be seated next to her. This was definitely not one of my shining inner-self moments, it was so fleshly. Ahhh... Well wouldn't you know that of course that is exactly who I sat next to on the plane! I am smiling now as I write this...(God I love you!) She sat down next to me - me who had my bible out and wanted some quiet time... She dug through her bag below her feet and I started to notice that her tattoos were all about Christ... and instead of a horrible smoke aroma that I expected, was this pleasant scent. She pulled out her ipod and put her headphones in and leaned back in her seat, I think she closed her eyes. She apparently didn't want to have a conversation either... All of the sudden though I was enthralled by her. I wanted to stare at her and investigate all of her tattoos & I was curious about her, about her life... I wish I could say that I started up a conversation with her but I didn't, apparently I wasn't curious enough.

Any way it was at this opportunity that God taught me I shouldn't judge others by their appearance... Who says that you have to be clean cut to love Jesus, to serve Him or to minister to others. Maybe by her appearance she can far better minister to people that I could not... I say all of this to say that it is not what is on the outside that counts but our heart within.... This girl may have a much deeper knowledge & understanding of Christ, than I do... She may be bearing much fruit in her life for Christ... Sometimes it is the unexpected who have great faith, passion, love, devotion and live very fruitful lives for Christ. This reminds me of the Apostle Paul and the early Church... who when he was persecuting the Church could have imagined all that he would one day do for Christ. What a deep faith and love he had for Christ!

Which brings me back to the passage this morning... Here was this Roman officer coming and saying to Jesus "Lord"...not teacher, healer, etc. He acknowledged him as Lord... and what is even more amazing (because you realize that Christ came and was preaching to the Jews not the Gentiles, although there were Gentiles who believed and were saved) is his great faith & humility! Many times those Christ came to preach to looked down on him and did not offer him even common courtesy. (Example - Luke 7:36-50, [esp. v.46]) They were not humble... Yet, here was this Gentile saying, I am not worthy to have you come into my home but if you say it I believe it will be done! Wow! It is amazing! (By the way check out Luke 7:1-10 for a little more insight).

Here was this Gentile calling Jesus Lord, showing humility and great faith. Jesus is amazed, that here in this Gentile is such a great faith, greater than he has found in all of Israel! He then goes on to say that many Gentiles will come from all over the world to sit down at the feast in the Kingdom with Abraham, Isaac, & Jacob... but that many Israelites, for whom the Kingdom was prepared will be cast out into the darkness... Why? Because they did not believe... they did not have a heart for or faith in their true Messiah! It is not just those who will proclaim a right to be in the Kingdom that will be cast out; there are many others who claim by heritage or by their cultural Christianity that the know the Lord but He will say He knows them not. (See Matt. 7:21-23)

I say all of this to say, do not discount those who seem far removed from what you expect of a Christ Follower... God can save and use ANYONE! In Him we can all be made new (2 Cor. 5:17)! Praise Him!!! Love Him! Serve Him! And love others...

0 Remarks:

Related Posts with Thumbnails