CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 20, 2009

A Patient & Forgiving God

As I was praying & praising God, praising Him specifically that He is a Forgiving God. There is a reference to Neh. 9:17, that I looked up. It says:

"And they refused to listen, And did not remember Thy wondrous deeds which Thou hadst performed among them; So they became stubborn and appointed a leader to return to their slavery in Egypt. But Thou art a God of forgiveness, Gracious and compassionate, Slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness; And Thou didst not forsake them. ~Nehemiah 9:17 NASB
God's love and forgiveness is so amazing! I think sometimes it is taken for granted... we understand but give it fleeting thought... when if we really meditate on it, we are stunned, astounded, in awe, humbled and moved beyond words.
There is so much that came to me as I read this verse... Starting with And they REFUSED to LISTEN! These are God's chosen people, who saw amazing wonders... All the signs and plights God sent to the Egyptians to free them... The passover... The Red Sea being parted... A pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night... the bread of heaven, water from a rock... on & on...
Yet they refused to listen AND they became stubborn (original word meaning - bitterness, rebellion - a masculine noun meaning obstinacy, stubbornness, rebelliousness). They decided to rebell against God!!! God who had done all these things for them! They decided to appoint their own leader & RETURN TO THEIR SLAVERY!
Wow, just let that sink in... Do we not at times do the same thing? God shows Himself to us (to me) in big and small ways... He is faithful, loving, forgiving... if we were truly to meditate on all He has done for us the list would be too long. And maybe that is part of the problem we stop focusing on what God has done and instead focus on what we think He should be doing, what our problems or circumstances are... We forget that we are not promised that this earthly life will be easy... we forget we have to be refined and sanctified... to continually put off the old self (the sin & flesh) and to put on the new - to be made more and more like Christ. Not that we will attain perfection on earth but on the day that we go Home we will be all that we were created to be. We forget in Christ we are a new creation... we sometimes still see ourselves and our life through human/temporary eyes instead of eternal ones.
There will be times when things get rough and we don't understand why God allows somethings to happen, we may become weary in doing good but let us not!!!! God knows what is best... God knows where He is taking us & what He is preparing us for... and it is of far greater value than our temporary pains. Let us not forget - and fall back to our old fleshly/sinful ways. To desire to be slaves again to what Christ has set us free from!!! We can choose to be free & in Christ we have the power to live free! It is like a child who wants to only eat junk food... when the parent knows it is not healthy for them... and they have for them the finest foods, healthy, tasty, filling... Our lives are like that we can try to fill ourselves up with "junk" which never satisfies us or we can let God grow us and fill us with what sustains, what strengthens, what enables, what gives us all we will ever need.
Our perception...what impact! Our faith... what is faith? Hebrews 11:1 tells us "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Do I live my life with & in my heart is that the kind of faith I have? It is a eternal, God perspective. That is my desire.
If you get a chance take a look at Philippians 2:5-11. It is one of my memory scriptures... and is something to really meditate upon.
LORD, I praise You - You are a forgiving God, Gracious and compassionate, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness. You do not forsake me - You do not forsake those called by Your Name. How sweet is Your love and mercy towards me... it fails me not. You are the Giver of every good gift - The One who saves and redeems me... Who prepares a place for me to dwell with You forever. You know my name, You know everything about me & you love me, bless me, chose me and forgive me. Your Word is a lamp unto my feet Lord - You light my path & give me the hope, strength and peace to do so. Praise be to You forever - You are the Everlasting God, the King of kings, my Prince of Peace! Praise You! To You be the glory forever & ever - Amen.

0 Remarks:

Related Posts with Thumbnails