CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 1, 2010

Joy

Food for thought – I have been reading and thinking about joy today. According to Holman’s Bible Dictionary the definition of Joy is state of delight and well being that result from knowing and serving God”. You can find the word joy used over 150 times in the Bible, if you include words like “joyful” or “joyous” you will find the number to be well over 200 times. Joy is the fruit born of a right relationship with God. Joy is different than pleasure. “Joy in the Christian life is in direct proportion as believers walk with the LORD” (Holman’s Bible Dictionary).

In thinking about all of this and in reading through several scriptures on joy… things have popped into my mind. How often do you experience joy? Have you given up on experiencing joy? As believers joy should be a part of our daily lives. Joy is not dependent upon circumstances… we cannot bring about joy on our own. Joy is a gift, a fruit born of the Spirit and is dependent upon our walk/relationship with God.

I know that to be true… and yet I know there are times that I don’t feel this joy. The enemy comes to steal, kill and destroy – The enemy comes to steal our joy. Often that is forgotten that we are in a battle here not against flesh and blood but against the enemy of God. Often times we let the cares of this world keep us from living the abundant life and yes, in that abundant life there should be great joy.

Have you put on the full armor of God today? Have you pulled out the Word of God and prayed to fight the attack? Have you abided in Him today that you may bear much fruit? I ask myself and you this… And I cannot say that every day I guard myself … My intentions start off right but sometime after I awake and pray and start my day … breakfast, my to do list, etc… I can get off track… and I can lose my joy.

We have to be; I have to be purposeful, alert, and prepared each hour of everyday. And that is possible by walking with God, by abiding in Him every moment, by praying about everything… and by knowing God’s Word. He has given us every tool we need, He has given us access to Him… there is power given in us to live, to overcome… He is our strength and He is our joy.

Today take a moment and be still… Calm yourself and sit at His feet and listen. Ask Him – ask Him what He wants to show you today; what He wants you to read in His word; what He wants you to do today; to open your eyes to His opportunities… But mostly just listen and then obey. Ask and receive, ask and even if you hear silence for now trust that He is at work and loves you… Draw near to Him and may your joy be complete.

“The joy of the LORD is your strength” Nehemiah 8:10

1 Remarks:

Selah said...

Yes, indeed. He has been speaking to me about this. It is so easy and even, dare I say, fashionable, to use our busy schedule as a badge of honor while whining about it. He wants me to consciously think of my activity for Him, not as overly busy, but a cup that overflows with opportunity and blessing and...joy!

Selah

Related Posts with Thumbnails